The lighting design and ambience created in a room can alter our emotions and change the way we look at things, calm a stressed mind, promote sleep for the sleep-deprived and general well-being. Altering the lighting in a room, by changing the color of the lights or dimming the lights, can lead to an immediate change in a person’s mood. Here are the types of mood lighting:
1. Warm lighting: This type of lighting design creates an ambience that is inviting, cozy and relaxing. Focusing on red and golden tones can bring a peaceful feel to a room.
2. Neutral lighting: This style of lighting is well-balanced, wherein natural light can be enhanced by using medium spectrum luminosity.
3. Daylight lighting: In this lighting style, vibrant light streams are used to brighten up a room.
Tips for lighting design in a personal space, which in turn can promote a calming ambience, a healing atmosphere and general good health:
- A room can be given the illusion of appearing bigger with the use of natural lighting coming in through wide windows and French windows.
- A serene ambience can be created through the use of soft and ambient light designs.
- Accenting the dominant color in a room with cool colors bulbs like pastel green and blue can help in reducing stress.
- A bedroom can be given a comfortable and romantic ambience which is suitable for reading, studying or relaxing, with the right type of soft lighting.
- Due consideration should be given to the color temperature of the bulbs used for mood lighting.
- Task lighting is well-suited in a bedroom vanity area. Care should be taken that shade centers are at least 15 inches over the tabletop.
- It is best to avoid the use of strong overhead lighting and bulbs with high power, which can emit a harsh glare.
- Dimming switches can be added to any light fixture, which can help alter the ambience in a room.
- Dark bulbs and dark light shades can be used to create a comfortable glow.
- Dimming a chandelier can help in achieving the glitter look that is typical of such a lighting form while reducing the glare. This can bring a relaxed and classy, while also soft and cozy, feel to the room. Tiny recessed down lights can be installed on either side of the chandelier, in order to deliver extra jazz and sparkle. The added shine can all be achieved with the use of clear bulbs on glittery metal and crystal accents.
- Effective lighting can promote a sense of calm and being at home. It can draw attention to a feature piece or a serene painting in the room that immediately catch the eye of someone entering, and instantly make them feel welcomed.
- On the staircase, a wall sconce can be placed at the bottom and a down light can be used at the top. This helps promote safety by defining the edge of the steps.
- Multiple layers of light can create an intriguing look in a room, where it is possible to enjoy quiet reading, entertaining and watching movies in a relaxed mood.
- Special art features and prized possessions in a home can be highlighted with halogen lighting, thereby creating a sense of personal belonging and relaxing solitude.
- A down light with a narrow beam can help illuminate a feature vase. This results in the lower portion of the piece being shaded, which helps to create a floating effect on the eye, thus lending an aura of quiet calm.
- Leaf patterns can be created on the wall by placing wall mounts behind plants. This adds a mysterious and charming feel to the room.